#VanLife | Blog 036 | Rebuilding what I broke
It was a gloriously sunny 12th of July here in the North West, and I had a full plan of attack when it came to the camper van conversion. Just days away from the MOT on the 15th I thought I'd get stuck in and tackle some of those jobs that needed my attention.
First on that task list was the water flow situation. What was it that was stopping the water hitting the bog? In my previous blog I mentioned that even though there was power to the electrical flush switch, and the taps obviously worked, albiet for less than a second, there was no obvious reason why the water wasn't getting pumped through the pipes. Time to get all Sherlock and assess the rear of the van, as that's where all the plumbing was situated.
I unhooked all the pipes, and no water was to be found in any of them. I knew that it had been sitting dormant for a while and obviously drained of liquids over the winter period. Having filled the tank before we left, I thought that would been enough to get it going, seems not. I'm not sure of the capacity of the onboard water tank, I suspect it's in the in the 50ltr range, but even the pressure from it's high position had no effect. The only thing left to do, was blow into the pipe and see what occurs.
With the end of the blue water flow tube to my lips, I gave a resounding bellow of air that any bagpiper would be proud of.
After an initial slight resistance, the air got through into the water tank, and then came flooding back down the pipe. I quickly reconnected the pipe to the system only to then find that the pump was missing a filter, fecking water flooding everywhere over the rear the vehicle. I had to quickly pull the pipe out of the system and did my best to expel the water out the rear of the van. The tank obviously needed cleansed with a good dose of Milton, but I'm glad I've found out at this stage that I need to order a new filter. Now all I need to do is find the right one.
Okay, drawing a line under that drama, it was time to move back into the living space and remove all that fitted furniture.
Ryobi drill in hand and the settings in reverse, those screws were coming out. Feeling that it would be better to start at the top and work down, the first to be removed was the top shelving. A quick 'zurp zurp' of the drill and I'm 10 screws down, and the retaining ledge was out. This is going to be so easy!
Then it hit me! This van is classified as a camper because of everything that's currently in it! By me removing it BEFORE the MOT on Saturday, I would being ruining it's standing as a camper.
Sheepishly I retrieved the only piece of wood I'd just threw out, and tried to get it back into place. My whole day's worth of work was halted after only one piece.
Roll on to Saturday, and a quick visit to North West Motor Factors for some wipers, as the rubbers were done, and the washer jets (which are fitted to the actual blade) weren't letting wiper fluid through. They weren't cheap either, £35 for two blades, and with the help of a small stool, we had them on and fitted. However, as with all things with this van, there was a blockage in the pipes, which meant I was now sucking on tiny tubes to get the fluid though. I swear, I think this van is simply a perv.
Take it from me, washer fluid is not tasty substance, and takes some serious flushing out, but a few pins and pokes through the connector pipes we had them fully operational and I was good to go.
MOT's are stressful enough, but when you're putting through a DIY camper that you've invested nearly five grand into, it takes it up a notch. I was booked into a normal car bay, but the guys called me over to the HGV pits for my inspection. Too cut an already long story short, the only thing he asked to see was the sink. Everything else was a pass, with the only 'comment' (not documented) being there were still a few areas of concern, rust wise, near the passenger front wheel arch area. I'll have my welding hero look into that when funds allow.
The normal 'triumphant' text was sent to the missus, to let her know the good news, and quick stop off at the beach for a photoshoot (one shot, cause by then it was lashing with rain) and the van is back home, all ready for the next stage, the ripping out of redundant tech from the cab area, and the swapping out of the rear CCTV camera that's not sending video back through to the front.
More on that next time, cause all was not what it seemed.
Keywords: blog, camper, conversion, darron, darron mark, ireland, iveco, iveco daily, londonderry, mark, van life, vanlife
Really enjoy these blogs they never fail to give me a wee chuckle that brightens up my day
No comments posted.
Recent Posts#VanLife | Blog 077 | VW-T4 Camper Conversion #WeddingPhotography | Blog 076 | I'm Back..! #WeddingPhotography | Blog 075 | End of an era #COVID-19 | Blog 074 | 2020 Weddings #TechReview | Blog 073 | DJI OSMO Mobile 3 #DailyLife | Blog 072 | Bariatric Surgery | Departure Day #DailyLife | Blog 071 | Bariatric Surgery | The Day After #DailyLife | Blog 070 | Bariatric Surgery | Operation Day #DailyLife | Blog 069 | Mental Health & Bariatric Surgery Project #DailyLife | Blog 068 | Location Motivation Procrastination